APA Jr. Pavement Testing Machine
Hamburg Mold Holding Gyratory Specimens
The Asphalt Pavement Analyzer Jr. (APA Jr.) is a multifunctional Loaded Wheel Tester (LWT) used for evaluating permanent deformation (rutting), fatigue cracking and moisture susceptibility of both hot and cold asphalt mixes. Testing time for a complete permanent deformation evaluation is 2 hours and 15 minutes (8,000 cycles). The testing time for fatigue cracking evaluation is dependent upon the fatigue behavior of the mix being evaluated.
The APA features controllable wheel load and contact pressure that are representative of actual field conditions. Each sample can be subjected to a different load level resulting in Contact Pressures up to 200 psi (1378 kpa). Triplicate beam samples, or six cylindrical (gyratory, vibratory, marshall pills, roadway cores) samples in three specially designed sample molds can be tested under controllable temperature and in dry or submerged-in water environments.
Fatigue cracking resistance of asphalt concrete can be determined by subjecting beam samples to a repeated wheel load of controllable magnitude and contact pressure in a low temperature environment. Triplicate beam samples can be tested under dry or submerged-in water environments. The Automated Data Acquisition System features a computer, monitor, and software for measuring rutting and fatigue. The software obtains all measurements and then plots them in a numeric and graphical format. The graphs display stroke vs. deformation (mm) and stroke vs. time.
The APA-Jr. meets the provisions of the AASHTO TP63-06 Test Method for determining the rutting susceptibility of hot mix asphalt. In addition to this, the APA Jr. meets the provisions that are required for the AASHTO T324-04 Test Method for Hamburg-Type Wheel Tracking Test.
The APA-Jr. is operated utilizing a PLC PC Based Control System. The operating system allows a user to perform all calibrations and functions directly with a Computer. The APA Jr.’s versatile architecture allows it to also perform custom abrasion, rutting, and fatigue tests on expansive range of materials.
- Manufacturer: Pavement Technology, Inc., USA
- Chamber Dimensions: 24 in X 41 in X 37 in (610 mm X 1041 mm X 940 mm)
- 15 gal of water (57 liters)
- 4 cylindrical or 2 beam samples
- Roadway Cores
- Other Cylindrical Samples
- Rolling Wheel
- Other Beam Samples
- The APA-Jr. has two loaded wheels
- Solid Rubber
- APA Solid Steel
- Wheel Tracking/Loading System: pneumatic cylinders (concave and Hamburg-type wheels) apply a repetitive wheel load up to 300 lb (136 kg)
- Shape Holding Assembly: high density polyethylene sample molds (rut and Hamburg-type) are contained within the water tray. Large side doors allow easy access for adjustments and access to the frequency drive.
- Temperature Control System: testing chamber utilizes electric heat strips and fans and has an air temperature range of ambient to 76°C. Water temperature is controlled utilizing a thermocouple inside the water tank and has a range of ambient to 76°C.
- Speed: variable up to 60 strokes per minute
- Water Submersion System: temperature control up to 76°C with continuous circulating system
- Vertical Measurement System: linear position transducer
- Operating Control: PLC PC-based control system. All controls are performed utilizing a laptop computer.
This machine is maintained by Carleton Laboratory management. To reserve this machine, please fill out the equipment reservation request form at least two business days before your usage slot.
For further information contact Adrian Brügger at +1.212.854.3158.